I think it’s safe to say we all like feeling we are part of something bigger.
I know very few people, if any, that don’t like making a positive impact. As a society, we enjoy coming together for a cause, fighting for something we believe in. I think the industry of CrossFit is no different.
When I went to Madison for the 2018 Reebok CrossFit Games, I dropped in at CrossFit Big Dane to workout and record a podcast with Barret Danz, the owner of the gym. We had met the year prior in a similar situation and spent time catching up. But ultimately, our conversation of course turned to Danz’ new space and the idea of wanting to be part of something bigger.
That’s what the Games represent. It’s a gathering of athletes and individuals who want to be part of something bigger, connected by a fitness regimen that’s changed their lives. It was neat getting the chance to talk with Danz about this, among the other rabbit holes we dove into.
So, check out the latest Box Talk episode below. Listen and hear keys on building your staff, finding the right space and more:
- In Madison, Wisconsin, for the 2018 Reebok CrossFit Games.
- Being part of something bigger via CrossFit.
- Why you need someone who is a task-doer.
- What is different for CrossFit Big Dane this year during the Games.
- Shout out to Danz’ vendor partners and how he got involved with FitAid.
- Offering cool events during the week of the Games.
- A little football tangent
- What happens when people try to come into the room we’re recording in.
- Why Danz has been walking around looking for stuff to do.
- As a gym owner, what Danz has been working on identifying over the past year.
- In order to grow, Danz partnered with Gymwright for website know-how.
- Why it’s essential to build your staff.
- CrossFit Big Dane’s new space and how they came to be in it.
- How it was already perfect, but the one issue that did come up.
- Danz shares an inspiring member story that showcases how the focus of his business has changed.
- What Danz has learned about pursuing competitive CrossFit.
- What’s more important: A great program with no coaching, or a good program with a great Coach?
- The fear of what open gym can create, in Danz opinion.