The 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games might be over, but the impact is lasting.
While in Madison, Wisconsin, for the weekend, Editor Heather Hartmann dropped in at CrossFit Big Dane. The Box is about one mile from the Alliant Energy Center, and owner Barrett Danz has been in full-prep mode for the Games since the spring. Hartmann and Danz met early in the morning to chat over what it’s been like having the event in Madison and the lessons Danz has learned in the weeks leading up to it.
Listen to this episode to learn tips on preparing for large scale events, why communication among Affiliates is essential and to hear how one owner has encompassed the spirit of the Games.
- Heather Hartmann wakes up in this episode with Barrett Danz of CrossFit Big Dane.
- Shout out to Saris Cycling Group for the free bicycle valet at the Games.
- How Danz created a business plan without even knowing it.
- What took Danz from Milwaukee and CrossFit 414 to Madison.
- The biggest lessons Danz has learned over the past three years.
- Answering the question, “What do you do all day?”
- The whole week of the Games in a nutshell – due to an interruption.
- Why you should be choosy with your members.
- What the most stressful part of the Games was for Danz and CrossFit Big Dane.
- The advice from Forrest Jung: Tops Tips and Prepping Madison Affiliates.
- A realization due to international drop-ins.
- Being prepared with waivers, online and on hand at the gym.
- How Danz poured into his staff during this crazy week to show his appreciation.
- The impact the Games has had on CrossFit Big Dane’s membership, staff, Madison, etc.
- How the Games – and a dinner with Dave Castro – brought the local Madison Affiliates together.
- What Danz thinks owners need to understand about who they are actually competing with.
- Shout out to the Madison Area Sports Commission who used Box owners like Danz as consultants.
- Why Madison is called the Fittest City.